johnwarrendailey's Alternate Earth Blank Map Challenge Jul 23, 2017 22:30:51 GMT
Post by johnwarrendailey on Jul 23, 2017 22:30:51 GMT
As the title suggests, this challenge is for an alternate Earth project that I've been working on. A solo project is a neat effort, but sometimes, a helping hand is helpful, which is where you come in in this challenge. The reason for this challenge is so that when used on Photoshop, Paint and Magic Wand can help change the geography realistically, especially if you want to create believable shapes of mountains and seas. They can also help in coloring the borders of alt-history empires.
- The map must be equirectangular. That way, distortion is reserved to Antarctica.
- Add in the political boundaries and mark them in a dark color. (For further clarification, that includes all 50 United States and all of Canada's provinces and territories.)
- Add in the primary and secondary subdivisions (states and counties in nations outside the USA), topographic contour lines and rivers and mark them all as one color, preferably lighter than the political boundaries'. (The only exception to this is adding contour lines on Asia. I am also after a 2D map, so the topographic contour lines should indicate the borders of geographical features, not the depth.)
- Widen the Atlantic by 1350 miles, putting the Prime Meridian in Lisbon instead of Greenwich. Which creates a landbridge that connects Asia to North America, erasing the Bering Strait off the map and shrinking the Bering Sea. To that extent, it would be like turning the Russian urban locality of Egvekinot (66.3205 degrees North and 179.1184 degrees West) into the next-door neighbor of Teller, Alaska.
- Drag Australia so far down southward that the distance between it and Antarctica is cut by half.
- The challenge expires on August 26
- This is not a contest, but I will still decide whose map I like best in a separate thread.
- If you need some clarification, PM me.
- Have fun!